Monday, June 1, 2009

An Update from the Arts Commissioner


INSIGHTS: A feather-textured dress made of cardboard-like material debuts at the student gallery show, "Annual Foundation Show." Photo by Barbara Navarro.

Dear ARTicles readers,

Thank you for bookmarking my blog and for being a loyal audience. I know many others at school have also taken notice of my efforts. A few weeks ago my commissioner peers awarded me with a shimmering plaque that read, "Commissioner of the Year." It was the best way to end my first year participating with the student government. A hundred thousand thank yous!

It takes a lot of planning and a lot of work in being commissioner. Though it remains top priority to organize events for the school so that our artists and their works are seen for the beauty and thought they fashion our world and our CSULB community.

The eartliest mission in capturing the artistic spirit at school came with the week-long itinerary of music, dance, visual arts and theatre for ArtsWeek, capping it off with a warm finale at the University Art Museum for the second annual Leaders Night. In late January, to open the spring semester, I curated an art show "Downtown" where the Long Beach community could also sample the great productions coming out of CSULB's creative side. That was a sparkly night at downtown Long Beach's Goods Gallery. I hope you were there!

My current status is simple and probably very similar to yours: I'm taking a break for the summer. My passion for the arts (and for my first: journalism) keeps strong, anyway, and I'm already working on ideas for "The New."

What do you think? Barbara Navarro: Arts Commission... A second term?

Have a great summer, and I'll see you all in the fall!

Hearts and arts,
b. bnavarr2@csulb.edu

No comments: